Rainbow

Rainbow

Tuesday 6 March 2012

Lessons on Wheels

The value of learning a new sport goes beyond the obvious physical benefits. E had his first inline skating lesson on Sunday and it was very interesting to see him in action

The first part of the lesson was monotonous and exhausting. E had to practise the basics repeatedly on a grass patch. He sneaked longing glances at a group of kids who were whizzing around on their blades. He must be feeling somewhat immobilized and bored stiff, performing what seemed like meaningless and repetitive tasks. He wanted to soar but had to first go through the grind. 

It became even more challenging when he moved from the grass patch to the ground. He kept falling and had difficulty getting up. So it was back to the grass patch to relearn the basic techniques. I think it is especially frustrating for a kid with his personality. He is impatient, likes to take short cuts and has trouble focusing on the task at hand (when it gets boring). And that is precisely why this sort of training is ideal for him.

Progress was painfully slow. It did not help that his instructor was getting impatient with him. E was getting distracted and the instructor kept on saying,"Are you listening to me?" 

What happened next was very enlightening.

Another instructor took over. She was patient and affirming. She praised E for his effort and for whatever little progress he made. The change in E was evident. He was struggling a while ago but progressed quickly with coaching from the second instructor. 

What I witnessed here made me realize (with a stronger conviction) what I've always known but failed to take seriously. E needs a lot of affirmation in order to be motivated. Seeing the power of affirmation at work before my very eyes jolted me out of my complacency. I was complacent with my young child's vulnerable self-esteem. I was dishing out affirmation in bite-sized portions but was generous with angry, careless words.

With this new found confidence, E started to give instructions to another boy who was still a little wobbly. The bossy side emerged or to say it affirmatively, it's the leader in him :)

The instructor asked E to rest but he said he was not tired and wanted to keep learning. I was pleasantly surprised. I hope the process of learning a new sport will teach E perseverance. I want him to experience for himself, hard work pays off. The joy and satisfaction of accomplishment will not elude him if he puts in his very best. 

I'm so proud of you, my boy, for not giving up even when you were discouraged and tired.

What an enriching lesson for both mummy and son. In fact, it was an enriching time for the whole family. Hubby and I took turns to jog and Baby C had fun picking up sticks and leaves. After procrastinating for ages, I'm glad to finally put on my running shoes.

It's going to be a regular affair because E will be having lessons twice a week. Since we are at the park, we might as well go for a jog. Looks like the decision to sign E up for lessons is a very wise one! 

E and I at the trial class
E's first lesson the next day. Trying to keep his balance

A new friend

Yippee! On the move at last!

Baby C loves the great outdoors too


6 comments:

  1. Hey! Was this at Bishan Park? Layla took one lesson there but she was so discouraged she never returned. Like E she wanted to soar too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were at Punggol Park. E wanted to learn when he saw some kids at the void deck gliding effortlessly. Now he knows better!

    Hopefully, his interest will not wane and he'll master the skill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This also shows the difference between a teacher who is patient and encouraging, and one who is not. It really makes a world of difference to the child...What a lesson! And so glad that he didn't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. June: Yes! A world of difference. I wish there were more teachers like that. Teachers tend to get impatient with E cos he needs to be on the move and gets distracted easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is totally not related to your post. but nice profile pic! chio sia!CoCoheng

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey friend, I welcome positive affirmation anytime!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...