Rainbow

Rainbow

Monday 17 October 2011

Johannesburg

It has been two weeks since I returned from South Africa.  I'm not sure if I was experiencing jet lag or was simply exhausted from being out and about for the last two weeks. E had no jet lag whatsoever. Time zone made no difference to him as long as he was having fun. His ability to stay awake when he didn't want to miss out on anything remotely exciting (even though he was zonked) and then after having expended every last bit of his energy to totally knock out within seconds; worked to his advantage. No jet lag in South Africa. No jet lag back in Singapore.

Baby C took about a week to adjust back to Singapore time. She took one long nap (4 hours) and a shorter nap (2 hours) every day for about a week. I guess she might have adjusted more quickly if I made a deliberate effort to wake her up but I relished the long naps as I could sleep too! BLISS!

Jet lag, the mountain-load of laundry, unpacking .... I've finally mustered enough motivation and energy to blog with the post trip logistics over and done with. And also having to get over the inertia after not blogging for so long.

It was an AWESOME trip! I've been to a number of missions trips when I was younger and this is the best trip ever! Going with the family and with my all time favourite people (you guys know who you are) are definitely why this trip is the best one ever! And it is best also because of how personal this trip was. We stayed with the pastor and his family and immensely enjoyed relating with them personally. It was not an events or program driven missions trip but one where we visited people's homes, talked to them, shared testimonies, encouraged and prayed for them.

The highlight of the trip was the miraculous healing of a lady's leg. One of her legs was shorter than the other. During the prayer, she felt a "click" in the shorter leg. She was utterly amazed at how different she felt when she took a few steps after the prayer. Her shorter leg was lengthened and both legs were now equal in length. We were amazed too as it was totally unexpected. God surprised us with this miraculous display of His awesome power.
 
I can go on and on. There are many reflections about this trip which I cannot possibly document in one blog entry. So I'll let the photos do the talking for now ...

Baby C slept for about 4 - 5 hours on a 10 hours plus flight. That's her in the bassinet when she's not sleeping.
Kids having fun in the open field after church service
Having fun the South African way ... the kids collected scraps of cardboard to slide down the slope. E loved it!




Buddies

Talented youth choir - Africans just have the voice and groove ... beautiful acapella singing

Icebreakers

One year old toddler who just learnt to walk. Looked really cute waddling around with a drumstick in his hand.

Baby C feeling bored during the long journey in the van and entertained herself by stripping

Baby C with one of the youths
At the home of one of the youths

Praying for healing

First home we visited in the city where our Joberg church is located. This city is a relatively new housing project by the government where slum dwellers are relocated and provided with free housing

E serving food to the kids

14 comments:

  1. Great post. Thanks for writing. Indeed, an awesome trip. Once in awhile, I still looked back in awe at what the Lord had done during our trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many precious memories ... feeling nostalgic and missing the daily fellowship in SA :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely sharing and pics, Joce. I particularly like the one with the toddler chomping away, and oh the one with E serving bread. So poignant! Like five loaves and two fishes...

    Am amazed by the healing of the lady. *wow*

    Bummer abt the lost comments, but really, that pales in comparison to your faith experience in SA... if that's any consolation. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Joce, I'm amazed by your courage and faith to bring the whole family to South Africa for a mission trip. It surely must have been quite an adventure for the whole family and I know that you must have lots to share from the trip.
    Cant wait to catch up with you soon.
    Praise God for the miracle that you witnessed. So awesome that He's so real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a warm hearted pictures...esp the one that E is with the kids. I think the Lord really blessed u with the experience of this trip, and I think He tends to do this, especially when we step out of our comfort zone and give what we have; time and care to bless others. Frankly, I still don't have the courage to step out to do missions, when I was single without kids, and even more so with Kyle now. Despite that, I am so encouraged by your experience...and will strive on in my own mission field; which is still alot more comfortable then venturing into a foreign country...ashame to say :s

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing about your mission trip! It's really encouraging. I love the pictures of all the South African children, they are so beautiful, everyone of them. I especially like the pic of the little one eating the drumstick.. so cute!! May God's blessings be poured out abundantly on the children.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're one brave mummy!!! What a great trip this looks like! =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. June: 5 loaves and 2 fishes :) I like that perspective! And in a way it was like the biblical account. The kids were hungry (they are from poor families so I think they don't get much food) and kept asking for more. And we kept giving out food ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel: I wanted to break out into song "This is home truly, where I know I must be ..." when I arrived at Changi airport. Was feeling homesick after a week so yeah home is truly more comfortable :)

    I believe you are doing a great job in your own missions field back home, nurturing Kyle (dedicated SAHM) and being a blessing to your family and friends!

    Missions trips are wonderful experiences but it's being a positive influence in the daily grind and for the long haul that is so important. That has been my reflection now that I'm back home :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan: It was a very memorable adventure ... tiring but fruitful and great fun!

    Looking forward to catching up :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruth: Yes, they are beautiful. Love their big, expressive eyes!

    The drumstick eating toddler just learnt to walk so it was amusing to watch him try to balance whilst holding a drumstick in one hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Klessis: Yes, it was a great trip! Already missing the people, experiences ... lots of cherished memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great trip you had! I kept saying "Wow!" as I read through this post of yours! Beautiful pictures of the African children too. Reading this post brings back warm memories of my mission trips to Philippines many years ago... one of the most memorable times of my life.

    It's so wonderful that your children get to experience this at such a tender age! I only wish that I can do the same for my kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ing: Missions trips are always memorable :) I'm sure you have many cherished memories of your trip which you'll remember for life!

    We could bring our kids along because of the support we had. Everyone in the team love kids and it happened that we were the only ones with kids. So everyone took turns to help out. Made it a lot more manageable :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...