Rainbow

Rainbow

Thursday 17 November 2011

Ka Boom

I can't believe it happened. I'm still in a state of shock. We escaped unscathed from a mini explosion of sorts. Thank God for His protection.

My mother-in-law made porridge for Baby C and kept it in a thermos flask. I was dishing out the porridge when IT happened. The glass interior exploded. I heard a "poof" (the same sound you get when you smack an air-filled plastic bag) and glass fragments literally jumped out of the flask. There were glass fragments on my clothes, face, hair, on the table, the floor and then I remembered that Baby C was seated behind me.

To my relief, she was fine. But there were bits of glass on her hair and clothes. I gave her a quick shower just to make sure she's glass free. I cleaned up the area and did a thorough check before declaring it a safe zone.

I shudder to think of the repercussions if I did not have my glasses on or if Baby C was next to me instead of behind me. My glasses possibly protected my eyes from flying glass fragments and my body probably shielded Baby C from the onslaught of glass bits since she was seated behind me.

I might be suffering from post-trauma paranoia. I keep feeling pin pricks (imagining glass bits embedded in my skin) on different parts of my body. And I'm wondering if I swallowed any glass. There was one teeny bit in my mouth which I promptly spat out. Hmm, how much I swallowed is most likely determined by how wide open my mouth was when IT happened. And my gap is usually gaping. So there are reasons beyond mere aesthetics for keeping one's lips together. I'll learn from this.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! How could that have happened? Isn't a thermos supposed to be heat- and explosion-safe!? Golly! Thank God you and baby are ok! Now I'm feeling a bit prickly reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember it happening once when I was a kid. My mom was just putting the spoon into the thermo flask to scoop out the food when it 'exploded'. So from then, we never bought another thermo flask with exposed glass. Btw, think I read or watch on TV that the 'explosion' is due to the difference in temperature between the heat (inside the flask) and the coldness of the cutlery that was put in. So don't use a metal spoon or fork. Anyway, apparently this 'explosion' is quite common.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh.... What an experience!!! Thank God for His protection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God for His protection, glad to hear that Baby C or u did not sustain any injuries. I do wonder what cause that also...

    ReplyDelete
  5. June: That's what I thought too. I'm going to stick with the stainless steel type of thermos. There won't be any nasty surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth: I did use a metal spoon. It's probably due to that. But my mother-in-law had another similar thermos flask which mysteriously exploded in the middle of the night. I woke up to find the glass interior shattered into pieces (with the cover still on). So it might be due to wear and tear??

    Whatever the reason, I'm not going near another one ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gerald: Yes, what a totally unexpected experience! My stay at home life is quite exciting after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel: It's either the use of a metal spoon or the weakening of the glass interior after repeated use which caused the incident.

    Evelyn: Thanks :) Really glad we are injury free!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...