Rainbow

Rainbow

Friday 25 April 2014

Terror in the Night

This was our second time on a night train and the kids' first time. I reserved the entire compartment (meant for six) so that we can enjoy some privacy. I remember our virgin night train experience from Zurich to Vienna where our bunk mates nonchalantly stripped down to their undies to get ready for bed. Having such an act committed in close proximity (it was a really small compartment with six bunk beds) made it all the more awkward.

No more sharing of tight spaces with strangers and I'm sure it works well both ways. I can imagine the not so pleasant thoughts going through the minds of people who just discovered they had to share the compartment with a family of four - two of whom were highly excited and very enthusiastic about their first time sleeping on the train.

E was scaling the bunk beds with a passion that could rival an adventurer on an expedition to Mount Everest. C wanted to sit near the window, watching the people and houses whiz by. They did whatever exploring they could in that tiny space.







We went to bed rather early, at about eight plus as we had to be up at about five in the morning to change trains at Munich. 

The night terror began in the wee hours of the morning (perhaps terrifying only to me, the sleepy hubby was void of any emotion). 

I don't sleep well on trains nor on planes. Moving transportation does nothing to lull me into dreamland. I drifted in and out of sleep and at some point, I realized that the train had stopped moving. I thought it was a cursory rest stop for the driver but after a long time, the train refused to budge. 

Then I heard what sounded like people arguing. By now, I was fully awake and worried. The voices grew louder and angrier. And when you don't understand a word, the imagination takes over. I woke the hubby up and he was obviously more interested in getting back to sleep than entertaining my wild theories of terrorism and other fears.

Then it happened. A man stormed on board the train and started yelling at the top of his voice. He ran up and down the corridors, in rage. I half-expected gun shots to ring in the dead of the night.

And just at this moment, E needed to pee. Perfect timing. I said to wait but no he can't. It was urgent. The hubby said he'll bring E to the toilet. I was thinking there was this crazy man outside and now an equally crazy man wants to risk our lives by opening the door to answer nature's call!

After what felt like an eternity, there was silence. No shouts, no gun shots (thank God). So with abated breath, I waited nervously while the hubby brought E to the toilet. 

By now, the whole family was awake. We said a prayer and tried to get back to sleep. Finally, the train resumed its journey and I could finally relax. 

When we woke up the next morning, we learned that the train was delayed for four hours! Apparently, there was a police hunt and that angry man on board the train was probably a fugitive. Besides this dramatic episode, a train ahead of us broke down and this further contributed to the delay.

We managed  to shorten our delay from four hours to one by changing trains at Innsbruck instead of Munich. We discovered this new permutation only fifteen minutes prior to the train arriving at Innsbruck. It was a mad rush to get ready, organize our luggage, a miracle with two sleep-deprived kids in tow. 

We made it and we're on our way to the highlight of our vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...