Rainbow

Rainbow

Sunday 2 June 2013

Day 1 - Cinque Terre Part 1

It was a trip that was put on the back burner for many years. 8 to be exact. We were about to buy the air tickets when I found out I was preggers with #1. Travel plans were shelved. And all I could do for many years after the almost trip to Europe was to indulge in drool-worthy photos on travel blogs. 

And then it happened. The catalyst was the decision to have #3. Don't get me wrong. It is not because we badly want a made in Europe baby. I reasoned that it will be near impossible to bring 3 kids to Europe without breaking the bank and our backs. So what better time than now before we start trying for #3. 

The thing about wanderlust is that it is satisfied temporarily before it sets in again. With a renewed fervour.

After our intense but thoroughly rewarding travel with 2 kids in tow, adding 1 more to the equation does not seem as intimidating as before. I have to confess that an idea is brewing. One that involves a campervan, 3 kids and France. That will save our backs and possibly quite a lot of bucks. Hmm, camping in Europe. The adventure beckons .... I'll wait.

I'll leave the daydreaming for another day. Now for the mammoth task of blogging about our trip to Italy and Austria (so much to write about).

I am making a deliberate attempt to blog about the entire trip (which is quite a challenge looking at my track record ... Hong Kong 2012 part 3 is still in the works). I am making sure I do so because this is a very special trip. The highlights of this trip were not only the sights and scenery but the goodness and the love of God we tangibly experienced.

Prior to this family vacation, we felt led to pray specifically for God's favour and for Him to amaze us with His love on this trip. And He has been so real to us during our time in Europe. So I want to remember all of it and give thanks for who He is and what He has done.

C had a fever when we were about to leave for Changi airport. It was quite worrying as it was rather high at 38.8 degrees and there were a few cases of dengue in our neighbourhood. We prayed and trusted for God to heal her. The wonderful thing was C did not feel particularly unwell and was not grouchy although she was running a temperature.

The ultimate test of travelling with young kids is the long-haul flight. Thankfully, our kids pass this one with flying colours. The 7 year old was obviously entertained by cartoons on board but I was surprised that the 2 year old could sit in her seat without endeavouring to make the plane her playground. In fact, C said this to me,"I cannot move on the airplane. I have to sit here." 

This is a far cry from my first solo travel with the kids to Hong Kong where C took a half an hour nap and then spent the rest of the 4 hours flight saying hello to passengers along the aisle. That was when she was one and just started walking. I guess the novelty of walking has worn off.

Both kids ate and slept well (though not as long as I'd have liked). Both woke up before our transit at Dubai and arrived at Dubai bright and chirpy in the wee hours of the morning. C's fever subsided by the time we left Dubai. Praise the Lord!

We arrived in Milan and spent the next few hours travelling to Cinque Terre. Honestly, I was not that impressed with Cinque Terre when I first arrived. We were greeted with hordes of tourists towing their luggage at the train station. We literally had to squeeze our way through to get to the exit. 

The crowds dwindled as the hours went by and that was when it became more of a peaceful haven, just the way we liked it.


Vernazza, the village we stayed in

At the waterfront. The kids were delighted at seeing waves crash on the breakwater.

Corniglia, the village up on the cliff. We took a shuttle bus all the way to the top to enjoy the lovely ocean view.
It was almost sunset at Manarola and the streets were empty. It was a blissfully serene moment to look up and see vineyards surrounding the village.

Sunset at Manarola

Dinner by the beach at Monterosso. This began the kids' love affair with Pizza Margherita!

Now, this must be the perfect finale to our sojourn in Cinque Terre. I wish. Nothing quite prepared us for the drama that was to follow after our chill by the ocean dinner.

To be continued ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...