Rainbow

Rainbow

Wednesday 11 January 2023

Sweet and Sassy Six

I decided to write more in 2023. What better way to start than to share about my sweet and sassy 6 year old. I used to blog about Ethan and Chloe and though I wasn't as active a blogger as I hoped to be, there were still a myraid of posts detailing their growing up years. Chloe loves reading those stories in my blog and posts/stories in Instagram. It was lovely recounting those memories with her, laughing at childhood antics and reminiscing bittersweet moments of parenting. 

I figured Kayley might enjoy reading my reflections but oops, not a single post about her!  All I can say is age (mine not hers) and third baby are factors which led me down the slippery slope of procrastination. 

This post is 6 years overdue. I remember wanting to blog about how we decided to have a third baby, her birth story, first birthday, milestones and before I know it, 6 years have passed.

And a week has passed since her 6th birthday. I had to strengthen my resolve to get this post written first thing in the morning before other distractions vie for my attention and before another year stealthily passes by.

Kayley was born the year I turned 40. We were content with 2 kids but a marriage retreat changed all that. We felt God say that He is going to bless us with another child. How He spoke to us and how we grappled with obeying that word is another story for another day.

Sweet and sassy describes who she is. The definition of sassy is "lively, bold, full of spirit; cheeky". She's all of that and more. She is also very sweet and affectionate.

This girl loves to talk. She hates to take afternoon naps in school because it means she has to stop talking. The teacher shared with me about how she was singing herself to sleep since she couldn't talk and incited the rest of her classmates to sing along during nap time!

She's a sweet friend, always asking if she can bring stickers, snacks to school to give to her friends. She loves to reach out and comfort her friends if they are sad or scared. Her teacher was very amused when she shared this incident with me. There was a heavy downpour that day. Flashes of lightning and booming thunder. Her friend was crying and Kayley tried to comfort her. She told her friend it's okay to be scared. But Jesus can take away the fear and she can pray and ask Him to be with her. Love the child-like faith!

She makes me laugh with what she says and defuses a tense situation because I didn't expect her to say those words. She tells me to calm down when I raise my voice at her. When I tell her I am not angry, she tells me that she knows my different voices and proceeds to demonstrate varying tones depicting nice and gentle versus angry and frustrated. How to stay angry?

We were having a conversation about who is going to take care of me when I am old.  Not sure what was going through her young mind but she was the one who broached this topic first. So, I casually replied my kids - the three of you. She paused and appeared to be deep in thought before exclaiming, "Then I am glad I have 5 kids!" She has been telling us she wants to have 5 kids 😂. She loves babies! Though I made it clear to her that this grandma to be will occasionally help take care her of her kids but will not spend my retirement being a full-time caregiver to her 5 kids. Can't believe I was having this conversation with a preschooler!

There's just so much to write about her and I can go and on. But I have to end here because other duties beckon.

Blessed 6th Birthday, Kayley! You bring so much joy to this family. Your name means "who is like God" and it is our prayer that as you grow with confidence and boldness because of your inheritance as a beloved princess of God, you will reveal who God is to those around you. Know that you are fearfully and wonderfully made for such a time as this! We love you so much!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...