Rainbow

Rainbow

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Silence is Golden

It was a long, leisurely drive in the night along AYE and I was savouring every moment of it.

Alone and loving it.

No incessant chatter, no whines and whimpers, no bossy voice that says, "Turn up the volume or can you play that song one more time - for the umpteenth time.

The journey was therapeutic and refreshing. My sanctuary on the move. I didn't realized how much I missed silence. But alas, the perfect state seldom lasts. I got lost.

Harried and hating it.

Perhaps I should retreat to this sanctuary regularly. Armed with a GPS. Wait. Then, I'll have to contend with an irritating, robotic voice which commands me to turn left in 1km. Ok, no GPS. Just good old me, myself and I.

Now, this explains why I have the insatiable urge to stay up late (past 1am) for the past few weeks. I have been paying the price for it every morning. But I am insanely reluctant to go to bed.

It's this craving for silence in the dead of the night that's making me extremely irrational. It's like I'm trying to hold on to this precious silence for as long as I can before the onslaught of NOISE the next day.

I sound like I might consider a monastic lifestyle. Well, all I'm asking for is to have moments of silence interspersed with extended periods of NOISE.

Thankfully, it is good NOISE (most of the time). 

I'll leave you with photos of my babies blissfully asleep. Silence reigns. Shhh ...

Baby C at 9 months old, fell asleep midway through dinner (check out the remnants of food). We were in Cape Town and she was exhausted from a long day of travelling.

E at 3 years old, fast asleep in the car with his signature sleep pose. This was taken during a road trip in Melbourne. We got to enjoy the scenic sights in silence when the little fella was asleep.

5 comments:

  1. I can so imagine Francis sleeping like E or is it the other way around. The need for some peace and quiet is the same reason why I'm the only up in the house as well. But you know sleeping late is one reason for weight gain, so go get your beauty sleep soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also appreciate the quiet times in the night, where I can finally FOCUS on something w/o interruption, be it book, blog, or just a quiet moment with God / hubby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan: Hehe actually I'm the one who sleeps in such an unglam manner! Yikes, I didn't know about the weight gain bit. Plus I tend to snack when I'm up late cos I get hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. June: Looks like many of us are night creatures :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy the peace and quiet at night too... when every single one is the household is asleep and I'm just alone with my own thoughts, indulging in a bit of me-time, doing little things here and there which I enjoy. It helps me stay centred... and keep sane too ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...