Rainbow

Rainbow

Friday 1 February 2013

The Recess Dilemma

It's been a month since the kids started school and 2 weeks since I started work. E is in Primary 1 and C is now attending full day childcare.

How has it been for the kids? E is adapting very well to the new routine. He is in the afternoon session but gets dropped off at the student care based in his school in the morning. Despite the long hours, the only complaint I get is, "Mummy, I'm very hungry!" 

My fussy eater has developed a ravenous appetite overnight. He gets $2 thrice a week and food from home twice a week. And it's not like he is buying food that doesn't fill him. A typical recess meal for him consists of rice with meat and veggies (which costs $1) and he spends the rest of the money on some other food if he is not full. 

In fact, I have raised his pocket money from a dollar to two because he said he needs more food to be full. Initially, I had my concerns about his choice of food during recess because he isn't exactly a fan of vegetables. When he was at home, I could ensure he eats up every last strand of that offensive green thing whether he liked it or not. 

To my pleasant surprise, he has on his own accord been ordering vegetables with his rice. At home, he proudly proclaims that he is now a big boy and that there is no need to cut up his vegetables into tiny pieces.

Well, this might be a phase but I'm enjoying it while it lasts! And for friends who know me, I have also been eating my veggies :)

His latest complaint about recess - "I do not have time to visit the library. By the time I finish my food, the bells rings. Can I eat less?"

Then you will be even hungrier by the end of the day, my dear boy. You either have to eat faster or eat less but you have to deal with the hunger pangs. Anyway, I don't think you need to visit the library everyday.

"But I want to."

Fine. You decide.

And this is the dilemma of a freshly minted P1 boy. 

Now, what about C's foray into a world without mummy by her side 24/7? It's almost like a weepie love story. And that I'll recount in another post .....


First day at recess

7 comments:

  1. Wow I can't believe he's P1!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time flies... happy that he's learning to eat his veges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the last time you saw him was at AMK Macs, with Serene and her kids. He was just a toddler then.

      It was tough getting him to eat his veggies so I'm really glad the meal time struggles are over!

      Delete
  3. I like that "Fine. You decide."

    I'm sure he will come to a consensus between eat faster and eat lesser.

    How's work thus far? I have a weepie love story of my younger child going school too, but i'm exhausted to write... Hope you having having a happy ending story;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I was tempted to tell him to do as I say. But recognized that I have to let him learn how to make decisions on his own. He is growing up and I have to learn to let go.

      Work's good but takes getting used to ... energy level is low :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...